Saturday, September 15, 2007

#22: eGads! eAudioBooks=eNuff, aLready!!!


Okay, here goes. I believe I have matched John J. when it comes to eAudioBook induced migraines. Accessing NetLibrary, Overdrive & Project Gutenberg was a cinch. Been there; done that during LATI. Had no problem downloading Because of Winn Dixie to my home computer; HOWEVER, (notice how large this "however" is?) after 2 hours of messing about, my posse & I were defeated. Badly defeated. The process goes like this: one has to find an eAudio that was available, dump it into your bookbag, download it; THEN, transfer it. My posse included my very tech-savvy 21 yr. old son, Leo, & a very patient friend who used to build computers for a living. We finally managed to transfer the eBook to my snazzy, new MP3 player, but it wouldn't play. All we got was the theme song for iAudio. Mamma mia!!! These 2 brave men downloaded all sorts of programs in an effort to make all "things" compatible. Nada, zero, zip! Our conclusion: my cute little portable device is not compatible with NetLibrary or Overdrive. (Never attempted Gutenberg since there don't seem to be titles that interest me , & I was fried.)

Here's the sad part, I adore audiobooks. When I book talk, I speak of them with passion, honestly. I promote them unashamedly to any customer that will listen--to them & to me. I listen when I exercise, cook, clean, paint, garden, commute. (You'd be amazed how many "pages" you can do in 4 minutes.) Crazy as this might sound, but I don't mind being stuck in traffic if I have an audiobook. I really want to take advantage of this resource.

I've questioned John J. & Stacey F. re their eAudioBook experiences. John & I both used the HCL MP3 player. Stacey used her personal one that she purchased specifically for this purpose. To date John & I were unsuccessful while Stacey was successful. (John is still plugging away & will keep me posted--bless you, John.) I will bring this info to Jaye's attention. If our conclusion re this dilemma is correct, we don't want others to struggle unnecessarily. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Jaye Holly said...

Oy! I'm sorry you had such a tough time. I believe that Stephanie Shane from ADM has used her MP3 player to download audio books. Check with her to see what the secret is.
Jaye :)